Click on image to enlarge

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Disney Wonder!!!


I am awe-struck and without adequate words to explain our Disney Cruise!! I'm not a big fan of letting people know when we are going out of town, so this has been a difficult task to keep from posting about my excitement leading up to the extravaganza.
This was all set in motion while we were on Robert's 40th birthday cruise in February. As a matter of fact, Robert's Mom called us about it the day we got back from that cruise. I was in shock and pretty sure I wouldn't be able to go. You see, I have been on a "every 2 month vacation plan" since February. This is VERY unusual for me. Two months after the 40th birthday cruise we went to Mississippi for my 20 year class reunion, which I am still sad that it is over! Now, 2 months after that, we had the Disney cruise.
This Disney cruise was to honor the life and memory of Grandma Doris Stenberg, who was the sweetest, most beautiful, and youngest woman in her 90's that I have ever met. She was known as Gigi by Rian and Mason. She was so kind and loving. We shared the same birth week and were quite similar in our strength and independence. She drove (and drove well) until shortly before she became ill and passed away. The Easter before she passed, she wore red, had her hair and makeup done as usual, was dressed to the 9's and looked fabulous. She never let on the she was very ill. That was Grandma Doris! Always the PERFECT hostess, looking like she was ready to go anywhere at any time. Her home was modern and young. She had wonderful taste in clothes, furniture, food, EVERYTHING. I was so blessed to know her for the 3 short years I did and only wish that she was able to be at our wedding. She sent me a birthday card when Robert and I had only been dating about 6 months. Her writing looked like my Nannie's writing! When I called her to thank her, I cried and told her that I never expected to get another birthday card from my grandmother, and I missed that. She told me that she was my Grandmother and she loved to send cards! She loved to travel, so this cruise was the perfect way to celebrate her. She was the rock of the family! We miss her so!
I will come back later and write about the cruise itself. I started in one direction and went into another more thought provoking direction and I want to sit a while and think of my 3 grandmothers: Nannie, Mamaw, and Grandma Doris. Happy, wonderful women who have given us happy, wonderful memories.

No comments: