Click on image to enlarge

Friday, June 10, 2011

Heaven Has a New Dancing Angel.



When I think back as far as I can remember, I remember loving dancing, any kind, anywhere, any time, just DANCING. I loved to dance, I loved to watch other people dance, and I still do. I think the love of dance was in my blood. Nannie loved music and dancing, Mamaw and Papaw Outlaw loved to dance any chance they got, so we all got it honestly. Another HUGE factor in my love of dance was Miss Minnie Simpson. You see, Miss Minnie taught dance in our home town forever. She taught my sister Dana, and retired in 1985 after Dana's senior year. I started taking dance from her in 1975 when I was 3 1/2 years old. Miss Minnie taught us so much more than dance, though. She taught us poise, how to be young ladies, and not act like "heathens" running up and down the street before dance class (I had a hard time learning that). She was graceful, kind, firm when she needed to be, and so talented. She and Mr PB were like a 3rd set of grandparents to us. Everybody wanted to be a Simpson because they were all smart, good looking and so talented!! When I say talented, I mean WAY more talented than one family should be allowed to be! It really wasn't quite fair. The Simpson children were singers, dancers, classical pianists, engineers, neurosurgeons, lawyers, jet mechanics! There was not a "dud" in the bunch! We loved going to their house for Halloween, because John and Tommy always had rigged up ghosts to fly out of the trees and spooky music to come on triggered by God only knows what! Holidays and recital times were always so special. They would sing and play the piano! Such a happy home!
Each summer we went to "dance sessions" with Miss Minnie. My first one was when I was 6 and we went to Meridian, Mississippi. We went to a "big town" dance session each summer and smaller ones in Jackson or Meridian during the year. We went to New Orleans, Memphis, St Louis, Houston, to name a few. We danced all day, and went out on the town most of the night. We had a blast!! I remember going to New Orleans on one of many trips there for dance sessions. We were walking all over town exploring. Miss Minnie was the perfect tour guide, because she was always very aware of her surroundings and could gracefully redirect us out of the way of "trouble." I remember walking down the street and her saying "Ok girls, lets cross the street now." When asked why, she said "There are ladies of the evening up ahead, so we need to cross now." I was probably 8 and had no clue what "ladies of the evening" were, and of course, I could not let it drop. One of my sisters friends yelled out "She means HOOKERS!" I still had no clue, but Miss Minnie said, "Now girls, we don't talk like that" and scurried us to a safer part of the street. I can't imagine taking on the responsibility of several teen girls in a big city when the only other adults with her were my parents most of the time. She was fearless! Other dance instructors knew her and respected her. She was, well, FABULOUS.
I just found out tonight that my beloved Miss Minnie is now dancing before God on streets of gold. I find comfort in the fact that she finally knows how much she means to me and 100's of other "little dancing girls" who have now grown up. God bless you and keep you. With love, Shannon

No comments: