Click on image to enlarge

Thursday, February 5, 2009

My first experience with a chiropractor.


Well, I guess it is time to admit that I have been having back pain constantly for just under 2 months.  I know!  I'm a nurse, so I should have done something weeks ago, but honestly, I HATE DOCTORS!  (No, not the one I work with, or any I am friends with, but any doctor that is looking at me as a patient.  My blood pressure goes up and break into hives! Seriously!)  Anyway, my pain escalated to the point where I couldn't move and I started crying at work and all the way home yesterday.  I didn't want to go to my family doctor because I knew that they would put me on a bunch of muscle relaxers and pain killers that I wouldn't take, so I had Robert call and make an appointment with a chiropractor close to home.  Dana had a lot of success with her back in the past, so my pain led me there.  At this point I would have downed a quart of motor oil if someone told me it would help my pain!!  I could barely walk yesterday and this morning.  I had an appointment yesterday where they did a lot of x rays and muscle/nerve tests and range of motion tests.  I had to go back this morning for the results.  As expected the results were not good.  My neck doesn't have the curve it should and where my lumbar and sacrum meet (basically the top of the butt crack) has degenerating discs, which is causing nerve pain from my right butt cheek down my leg to my knee.  I also have muscle spasms and very tight muscles along my spine.  I'm putting ice on the hip and the chiropractor adjusted my spine this morning.  I can walk now, slowly, but I'm walking.  My pain has gone from a 9-10 to a 4, which is nothing short of a miracle to me!!  (My blood pressure was really high yesterday from the pain.)   I have been in so much pain and so cranky that poor Robert has been catching my wrath.  I know he's glad I'm feeling better.  I think he was scared of me!  Anyway, I will be going back 3 times a week for a few weeks and will have a followup assessment to see how the spine looks.  I'm so glad I did this!  I should have gone 20 years ago when this started.

No comments: