Click on image to enlarge

Thursday, April 2, 2009

What a Difference 19 Years Makes!!!

Today I spoke at a local high school to 3 classes of students who are interested in the medical field. The teacher wanted me to speak on nursing and hospice. It was really fun! It was so strange being back in a high school!! I haven't stepped in a high school since I did a brief tour of MSMS at my 10 year reunion. I felt test anxiety all over again! I know I'm going to have the "showing up to school naked" dream tonight. High school is very different now!! The classrooms were more flexible in the set up. Half of the classroom was a computer area, half was "desks" (Not the desks we had!) and a hospital bed setup. The desks were individual tables with chairs that WERE NOT ATTACHED and could be pushed together to form a few larger tables. They even had a culinary classroom that had a commercial kitchen. MSMS was state of the art in it's day, but this was amazing! In the "common area" there was a huge tv screen that had announcements and information on it as well as rows of lockers. It was clean and nice. This will be the school that our kid (if we have one) will go for high school. We are very fortuate because the Elementary school is about 1/2 mile down the road, the middle school is next to the high school, and everything is very close to us. It was an excellent experience. (I found it strange that the bathrooms didn't have doors on them, the individual stalls did, but you could see right into the bathroom. God forbid you have to barf, fart, or poop. I would NEVER be able to go there!) I am on Spring Break now, so I am a happy woman (who is feeling very old since I just spent half the day talking to students who weren't even born when I graduated.) I'm going to take my geritol and go to bed!!! Have a great weekend!! Shannon
While looking for a picture of MSMS I ran across this picture. This was my physics teacher and he is still really good looking!!! Sorry Marcus!!

No comments: