Click on image to enlarge

Thursday, June 4, 2009

UP is a must see!!


Tonight we went to see UP with friends. I wanted to see it from the moment I saw the first preview, and even more after the review from Marcus. Here is how he describes it:

* Sometimes dreams get unexpectedly postponed.
And sometimes they don't come true at all.

* Life involves loss, and it sucks. (This movie does not avoid the subject of loss or disappointment, or sugar coat life's sadness, loss, lack of involvement of people who should be significant to us, etc.)

* Sometimes the people that we think are heroes are really just assholes.

* We don't have to accept things that are being forced upon us.

* The end of one chapter does not mean that the book is finished.
Turn the page and see what happens next.

* Friends can often take the place of, and do a better job than, absent family. This reminds me of an anonymous quote that I recently saw and LOVE:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families."

* Sometimes it is necessary to dump our baggage and make a new start.

Every one of these points is represented in the most heartwarming and gripping way. It is visually one of the most beautiful films I have seen. It is Pixar, but at times you think it is true scenery. It makes you cry, think, laugh, sigh, everything a movie should do!!
I will be buying it when it comes out on DVD!! The short film before it was the cutest, sweetest, and set the mood for the movie!! I loved it so much!! This movie is wonderful for adults and children and full of excellent life lessons!! Shannon and Robert

2 comments:

Robert said...

It was a masterful work on how to adjust to what life throws you. This week I had a personal example that was made clear by this amazing film. I feel that every time I do watch this movie I will see yet another lesson lest I wear the Cone of Shame.

tlm said...

Thank you for reminding me about the short film - I think it is my new favorite Pixar short. I guess I got so involved in Up that I forgot about it!